View Single Post
Old 01-31-2015, 12:09 AM
Bill Gregory

Curt, I actually like both cards, though I think the second has a better picture. I love the action shots, but I like a good portrait, too, though the first doesn't really qualify as a portrait. I was just a sucker for Carew, though. The guy could flat out hit. He had one of the smoothest approaches I've ever seen at the plate. He'd crouch down, and just mash the ball. Everything he did was smooth. I remember watching him in 1982 when the Brewers had to get by the Angels to get to the ALCS. He really didn't hit much in the Series, and I'm glad, too, because I thought he was going to destroy us. He'd had another great year, hitting .319. Can you believe he hit .300 15 years in a row? 7 batting titles in 10 years!

Mike, yes, I've seen them before. They're ok. I prefer the Topps Archives cards because they emulate sets from the past. I have more of a connection to them. Now, if they had done the Fleer sets from the 60s, I'd have been game.

I like the Archives set because they combine the modern with the old. The cards are sharp, well centered, and in the style of the card issues that were in print when these men were on the field. And, on card autos. They're perfect!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.