View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I totally agree with you, that competition is good. I am all for healthy competition. There comes a point however, where the playing field becomes over-saturated.

As it is now, very few of us, if any (and certainly not me), are able to keep track of all the auctions going on. I do get the more than once per week email from auctionreport.com, but even it does not list all the auctions either soon to open, or that are currently taking bids.

It seems to me that when so many collectors are unable to keep up with the goings on, it is not good. Too much of a good thing, just like drinking too much water, is unhealthy, and can even be disastrous.

Just some examples:

- All the cards that were produced in the late 1980s - too much of a good thing

- All the card stores that opened in the late 1980s-early 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Overproduction of collector postage stamps in the 1990s - too much of a good thing

- Same thing has been said about US coins (especially commemoratives), collector plates, Star Trek action figures, Beanie Babies, and on and on and on.

I just don't want future collectors (or Heaven forbid, those of us here today) to be able to say the same thing about sports card auctions contributing to the demise of our hobby!

Steve
Apples to oranges comparison.

You are equating the over production of a good to the proliferation of auction houses that do not produce goods.

I can see no scenario wherein increasing the number of outlets through which hobby items can be bought and sold would somehow contribute to the demise of the hobby.

Tom C