View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 03:13 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

His given name was Thomas "Tom" or "Lefty" Glover. Early in his career he was also called "Walt" and "Walter" in newspapers, but I'm pretty sure it was misprinted. Pitched in black baseball from 1933 through 1947, mostly with the Baltimore Elite Giants, plus also in Mexico, Cuba and Venezuela. He was a mid-level pitcher, a 4th starter, used in relief quite often.

Threw a no-hitter against a team of white major and minor league players led by Babe Herman in LA in the winter of 1939. Died of TB in 1948.

When I was in art school in Baltimore in the late 1980's I got to know many of the old Elite Giants players as well as fans that saw them play. Glover was a guy many brought up and because there's next to nothing known about his life, I kind of took it upon myself to find out what I could. I am working on a short bio of him for my blog and maybe for the next issue of '21' a baseball magazine I put out, and I want to do a new illustration of him - based on that one photo I used years ago - if I can find it again!