View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Tim Carroll

No idea how I missed these responses/questions - so sorry I'm just now getting to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post
This is why I love humans...Great work...
Thank you! Agreed. Everybody has something they do better than everyone around them. Some just haven't realized it yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballfan View Post
great piece, can't wait to see the next one
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by invest View Post
Considering they are two of my favorite all time cards (along with my son's favorites) I had to have these. Outstanding work as always Tim

Troy
Troy, I'm honored to have those hanging on your wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco827 View Post
Amazing!!! Just amazing!!! The artistic talent, patience, and vision of what you do blows my mind! If you ever do an '84 Topps Mattingly or '71 Topps Thurman Munson, let me know. Not sure what it costs to commission such a thing, but I'd definitely be interested!
Thanks! I'll be sending you some information shortly on both the Mattingly and Munson. Both would be extremely time-consuning due to the full body action poses, and in the case of the Mattingly, an extremely small portrait to boot. I've always wanted to work the 1976 Topps Munson. That's a card that lends itself well to what I do. I'll be in touch soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I agree on the 1984 Topps Mattingly. He's not only my favorite player of all time but the 1984 Topps was the first real set I collected from packs as a kid. I think the 1971 Munson would be difficult with all the background noise in the picture but I'm not the expert, Tim sure is. Incredible work and talent.
Bingo on the Munson. It can be done, but I have a pretty good grasp on which images would be captured realistically, and which would be more of a representation. The Munson would definitely be a representation with far less detail than some of the other pieces I have finished. The 84 Topps Mattingly would challenging as well. Cutting the intricate pieces that make the flip shades, his fingers, the smallest of pinstripes, etc. And then there is the portrait in which his likeness must be nailed. I really appreciate the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Tim, from a production standpoint, I have a question for you. Your incredible works are tantamount to impressionist paintings in a museum. From a distance you get a clear image of the subject, but when you get close up you see the work is comprised of brush strokes and dabs of paint, etc. When you are creating a piece, how often are you stepping way far back from it to make sure the weird colored shreds of baseball cards (your 'brush strokes' as it were) are achieving the desired effect from a distance?? I imagine the floor leading up to and away from your easel is just worn the heck out. Ha ha.
Great question, and one I do not get as often as others. Believe it or not, my iPhone becomes my best friend in saving me steps. Holding the phone up and viewing it through that camera lens where the image is compressed makes a world of difference. That keeps me by the drafting table, lol.

By the way, it isn't an iconic card, but this is a piece I had to get right. I worked the following over the last few months during the day when my wife was away and my kids were in school. I surprised my youngest with this (working on the other kids). This one measures just under 3 ft x 3 ft. My 10-year old son, Mason:

www.timcarrollart.com

Facebook/Instagram/Twitter: @timcarrollart