View Single Post
Old 12-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Joe Doyle N.Y. NAT'L and it's 11 "cousins"......PART 2

Sept 2007, I started a thread on this forum titled Joe Doyle N.Y. NAT'L and it's 11 "cousins"...... Elite 11

What originally influenced me to arrive at an association with the Joe Doyle error card and the Elite 11 is the story of Senator Richard Russell's original tobacco card collection (which is
on display at the Univ. of Georgia).

As some of you know, Russell's T206 set is very unusual, as it has both the Ty Cobb/TY COBB and the Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L cards. Now, here's where this story becomes very intriguing.
Approx. 9 years ago, a bunch of T206's from the Elite 11 group with PIEDMONT 350 backs were listed on Ebay. I won all of these rare cards; and, I contacted the Seller (who owned
an Antique shop in Atlanta, GA.
This Seller told me that a lady (who had purchased a desk from the Russell estate) found a considerable number of tobacco cards in this desk's drawer, and she brought them to him.
This story aroused my curiosity, so for the past 10 years (or so) I have been tracking the source of original T206 collections which have included some (or all) of the Elite 11 cards.
Well, every one of these sources are strictly from Georgia. No other location has been a source of the Elite 11 cards. Furthermore, there are only 9 examples of the Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L
card which have been confirmed (to date).

Sorry guys for this lengthy discourse. My point here is this....when the printers at American Lithographic caught their mistake very quickly on the Joe Doyle card's caption, they simply
discarded the entire 12-card strip which included the Elite 11 cards and the Joe Doyle error card.

Finally, last time I checked out the pop report data on the Elite 11 guys, it correlates very closely to the pop report data of the Joe Doyle N. Y. Nat'L card.

J Doyle NY Nat'l..^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
The Elite 11 subjects are originally 150 Series subjects. When ALC started printing the 350-series cards they included 150 series subjects in the mix. The following info
may also explain why the Elite 11 subjects were short-printed with PIEDMONT 350 backs.

Dahlen (Boston)....joined Brooklyn, Oct 27, 1909

Ewing..................traded to Phillies, Jan 20, 1910

Ganley.................ML career ended, Sept 27, 1909

Tom Jones............traded to Detroit, Aug 20, 1909

Karger.................traded to Boston AL. Jul 26, 1909

Lindaman.............released from Boston NL, Jul 26, 1909

Lundgren..............ML career ended, Apr 23, 1909

Schaefer...............traded to Washington, Aug 13, 1909

Al Shaw................ML career ends 1909

Spencer................played only 28 games with Boston AL in 1909

Mullin................... ? ? (long and very successful Pitcher with Detroit)

And, then there is......a single Schulte (front) with PIEDMONT 350 back. I do not consider this subject as part of the Elite 11 group, until I see an EPDG back on this card.

TED Z

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 12-19-2017 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Correct typo.