View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 04:59 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Default Exhibits: Questions and observations on 3 variations

In putting together an extensive '1947-1966' Exhibit collection, I've noticed a couple things that might help clarify a few differences and maybe mistakes in some of the guides.
  1. Yogi (not Larry) Berra. The SCD has variations listed for the Berra card as "Printed in USA" with or without "An Exhibit Card" (and I may have seen this elsewhere as well). However I question if a "PIU" with "AEC" actually exists. Based on the print type and years issued, was this even possible since the AEC was only done for the "Made in USA" in 1949? Granted there are other 'oddities' but this one seems highly unlikely. Can anyone confirm a PIU w/ AEC exists with an example? Or knows with relatively certainty this is an error in the guide and does not exist?
  2. Larry Doby (bat well off shoulder border). This one is just irksome. Why not just list this 'variation' as "PIU"? While there is a projection difference (see below), it's not easy to tell unless side-by-side. So why not just listing them as the following? MIU w AEC, MIU w/o AEC, MIU w AEC scratched out, and PIU. Or does someone have a 'bat well off shoulder' (ie smaller projection) that is an MIU card?
  3. Pee Wee Reese. The old 'ball partially visible' card. This is similar to the Doby with a twist. It really depends on the cropping of the photo. However also similar to the Doby, there is a very slight projection difference. The PIU is a smaller projection by about 2 mm (from tip of right foot to button on cap). As you can see below, there is a MIU where the ball is partially visible, but the projection is the same as all the other MIU cards. It's just more 'off center than the others (see below). So my belief is that all versions would have the ball if the cards were off center enough. Thoughts on this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doby-small.jpg (35.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg PeeWee-small.jpg (38.8 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by tschock; 11-12-2018 at 05:00 AM. Reason: border, not shoulder