View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Andrew L@Vine

Default October pick up

I was very happy to pick up my first 2 vintage playing day Cobb sigs today at the post office. From the research I have done, it appears that the letter and cut were obtained between 1905-1915 (with an educated guess, leaning closer to circa 1910-1914). The manager of the hotel listed on the stationary worked at the Brunswick from the mid-1890's until 1914 when he retired, and passed away in 1915. On the PSA site, the full name cobb sig compares favorably to the 1912 exemplar. I will most likely keep the cut for myself, and sell the letter to another collector to help finance the purchase.

I have enjoyed digging into the history both of Cobb and the Brunswick Hotel in the process (A little did you know...In the early 20's when Mickey Cochrane was still at Boston U., he worked across the street from the Brunswick cleaning dishes, and would see the Yankees and other major leaguers sitting on the Brunswick hotel steps. In the book The Hall, he was quoted as saying,"See those lucky stiffs on the Brunswick steps?...some day I am going to sit over there and look over here and watch other guys washing cups and saucers, knives, and forks. Yes, sir. I have made up my mind I am going to be a big leaguer myself."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ty Cobb 1.jpg (70.2 KB, 373 views)
File Type: jpg Ty Cobb 2.jpg (70.9 KB, 373 views)