View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 12:08 PM

Default September memorabilia pickups

Here are three recent photo pickups that I thought were worth sharing that just arrived today:

Johnny Vander Meer sharing the pitching form that allowed him to pitch back-to-back no-hitters to the neighbor kids in Vandy's hometown of Midland Park, NJ. This photo was taken on June 16, 1938 at his home the day after he hurled his 2nd consecutive no-no at historic Ebbets Field. From RMY's recent auction that just ended.

A rare original action shot of Nolan Ryan's 2nd no-hitter on July 15th, 1973.
Ryan has always noted that this was his most overpowering pitching performance in his career. He fanned 17 Tigers en route to his 2nd no-hitter in 1973.
The exhibited cropping was used because this photo ran in the Detroit Free Press the next day. In my personal collection I own the catchers mitt that Angels catcher Art Kusnyer used to catch this game as well as a game used ball. This photo came by way of another Ryan advanced collector.

A terrific original action photo of Nolan in his 1st year with the Houston Astros 1980. This is perhaps my favorite image from Nolan's stint with the Astros. Also from RMY Auction. Thanks Rhys!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-02-2016 at 03:20 AM.