View Single Post
Old 12-03-2002, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Default Check This Out -- The Phony Sports Illustrated / AAA Reply

Posted By: Bruce Moreland

I don't like that they are cutting up vintage books, but unfortunately, that is perfectly legal. There is a huge market is butchered vintage material now -- it's called "game used". I don't like that, either, but for some reason people keep buying and selling it even though I've clearly stated my objections. Fine.

Here we have someone selling junk, and you think that novices are being snookered.

I don't think that novices are being snookered. I think that it's either a case of a) people exhibiting poor taste, or b) idiots being idiots.

Poor taste is legal.

Novices aren't necessarily idiots. Anyone who buys a Beckett, anyone who goes to a card shop and talks to the owner, anyone who goes to a card show and looks at what is being sold, anyone who spends five minute browsing items, anyone who *reads the auction description for the item they are bidding on*, anyone who does any of this should know that this stuff is not the same as the stuff appearing anywhere else.

If someone won't take even the most simple, elementary, rudimentary steps to avoid wasting their money, why should anyone care if they waste their money?

I'm all for helping people avoid dubious material, but what good does it do to try to help people who won't do the first thing to research what they buy?

bruce