View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Why Do We Watch Our Team

Regardless of your favorite sport, I would venture to say that most of us have at least one favorite team. Whether it’s a home town team or one with a favorite player, it’s the team you follow and watch when you can. It could even be a childhood favorite.

Championships are rarely won by our favorite teams and some of favorite teams have horrible records, but they all have a loyal, faithful following.

Certainly the Cleveland Browns in recent years have been less than inspiring on the field. Why watch them? This year has been a bit more encouraging, but they are hardly a contender.

On the other side of the spectrum, I have a friend whose team is Alabama football. Why watch them? Averaging 60 points in a game, that is rarely competitive, seems similar to me as watching the Cleveland Browns.

What about a good game. The Giants and the 49ers, both going nowhere, on Monday night played a competitive and interesting game, particularly in the second half, but it is unlikely that if you watched it that you would admit it.

This weekend the Chiefs and the Rams appear to be a premiere matchup. Even if they are not your favorites, interest and viewership is bound to be high.

I’ve had several favorite teams over the years the baseball Giants as a kid, the Cubs who I worked for briefly and more recently the Brewers and the Packers.
I also like underdogs and get a kick out of upsets. Small market teams, with payrolls at 10% of their opponents, are another generic favorite particularly when they are knocking off the Yankees or a Golden State.

Yes, I am watching the Packers tonight, not in their best season, but with Rodgers hope springs eternal. They can still finish the regular season 11-4-1.
It’s a dream to be sure, but not too long ago they went from 4-4 to 12-4, I believe. Bad memory - went from 4-4 to 11-5 in 2009, not 12-4

When the outcome is in doubt late in the game, seeing “your” team pull it out in the clutch is the ultimate high in sports viewing. Watching Alabama’s fourth string score the team’s tenth touchdown in the fourth quarter is not. Roll Tide.
The Citadel awaits.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-15-2018 at 05:39 PM.