View Single Post
Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Al Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_collector View Post
As a kid [in the 80's], I remember seeing pictures of Yogi Berra and Warren Spahn 1951 Red Backs and thinking how cool it'd be to own one. When I got back into collecting in the early 2000's, I got a Warren Spahn from Gar Miller, and proceeded to put together a raw g-vg set [including both variations]. The last card I needed was Duke Snider -- and Gar gave it to me as a gift for graduating university.

Compared to nearly every other set listed in this thread, what I did was easy, but it wasn't any less fun. Just thinking back to it has me thinking about building the set again!

Richard.
The 51 Red Backs are a fun set. Blue backs too. And unopened packs are doable as well. I think the Topps 51 sets are in general under appreciated because of the stronger interest in the 52s and the impression some have that it was the first Topps baseball set.

I have done the Red Backs, Blue Backs, Connie Mack All Stars, Current All Stars ( only the 8 issued cards) and both versions of the Team cards. It has been awhile but the last 3 were pretty tough.

The Topps 1991 set was hailed as the 40th and the 2011 as the 60th, but I count my first Topps set as the baseball subset of the 1948 Topps Magic Photos