View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
Do you already have the '52 Mantle? If not, plan on about 25-30K for that card alone in PSA 4. The card may run even more if the eye appeal is great.

If you're not prepared for that single expense, I believe the decision between the two sets ( 52 Topps or 48-49 Leaf ) is settled and you're building the Leaf set.
PSA Paige is 20k+ and much harder to find. You can pick up a Mantle whenever you want. You are also looking a 5k+ for a centered Jackie Robinson. The Leaf high numbers are also going to be harder to find and more expensive than 52 Topps. The 52 Topps will be an easier set to put together, you are just looking at 407 cards vs. 98.

I personally would do the 1952 Topps set. However, I think the 1949 Leaf set is one of the ugliest sets ever made. I also can't stand the set being skip numbered. You will have card number 168, but need to figure out which 70 numbers don't exist. I also understand it is one of the classic sets in the hobby because of the Paige and Jackie rookie cards. I just did the 1949 Bowman set instead because I was doing a Bowman run and it had those two rookies plus others, such as Duke Snider, that Leaf didn't.