Thread: Shoeless Joe CJ
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 03:13 AM
I@n Cl@rke

Understand the other POV, and also think Joe Jackson's cards' popularity keep growing on their own, but overall I gotta agree with Bob. I think anything that raises awareness of the player or team in question, will potentially impact value. A recent example was the movie "42". I picked up a PSA-5 Leaf a few months before it opened. Within a few weeks, the prices were creeping up, and before long they'd doubled compared with what I'd paid. I don't think anyone (high end collector, or other) consciously chooses to pay a premium because of a movie, or an anniversary, it just happens because all of a sudden more people want the same stuff.

Not sure the '19 anniversary has an equal effect as "42", and doubt Hollywood takes another crack at this story. I also don't think MLB wants to draw any extra attention to the topic since it keeps putting the commissioner on the spot. However I'd be very surprised if there aren't numerous media references as the date approaches. Also, given how successful ESPN's 30 for 30's have been, wouldn't be surprised to see one come out around then. Perhaps Joe Jax's descendants, in their quest to convince commissioner Manfred to lift Joe's ban, would be the key interview subjects.

Anyway, all of this piques interest, and in turn can do so for prices, like "42" did for Jackie. I think with lesser players/stories, these peaks may be more prone to come back to earth afterward, but in the case of a guy like Joe Jax, I think any price spikes are more likely to stick. Jackie's prices haven't really come back down since.

Last edited by itjclarke; 08-08-2016 at 03:15 AM.