View Single Post
Old 06-14-2023, 10:56 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
Certainly the A's have not been a high investment team (it's hard to act like the Dodgers and Yankees when nobody goes to your games). The city has done nothing to keep them. Nobody is trying to nominate Fisher for owner of the year. MLB shouldn't censor fan signs or do many things it does. To observe one problem does not mean one is alleging no other problem exists.

The narrative flying around here in the Bay does not stand to even a cursory fact check. From 2005, when Fisher bought the team, to the present day they have won 1,447 games and lost 1,435. Call it .500. Average overall performance. In none of these years, many of them successful winning seasons (4 times they have finished 1st), have they had even average attendance. People have not cared for a long time, even when they are good. They measurably didn't go, win or lose. Tons of people out here whining never went to a game before and didn't care until it was the trendy-subject-of-the-week-to-complain-and-protest-about.

If people don't go, teams leave. That sucks for their ~10,000 actual 'working class' fans (it sucks for me a bit, I like going for $5 in the evening sometimes though I too have fallen off the last few years with the high crime, drug infested BART, and more drug dealers on the walkway), but it's always worked this way. It's harder to spend more when your fans don't bring in nearly what other clubs fans do. It has always worked that way. The fanbase measurably hasn't cared much for a very long time. If people don't go, even when they finish 1st, of course they will leave when they can. If this is the "clusterfuck" that demonstrates "what is wrong with society", then boy are things almost perfect.

I fail to see what bearing the fact that his very successful parents left him money when his father died has to actually do with this. Shame on them for giving their stuff to their child . I'd love to see who the people whining about this leave their money too in their wills. I bet it's a rando.
I get it, you blame it on fan support, I blame it on ownership, if Joe Lakob was the owner and the City of Oakland worked together to make this a winning franchise with a new Stadium and exciting marketing there would be no discussion about keeping the team in Oakland, see SF Giants.
If you don't understand the dynamic of generational wealth and self entitled dynamics that's on you, if you don't earn it you don't appreciate it. Fisher is a perfect example of that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-