View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 PM
James

Default Large Amount of High Grade 50s/60s/70s Rookies Coming to Market

this is not a post predicting that the sky is falling in the coveted high grade post-war market. however, the amount of high grade 50s/60s/70s supply coming to market just in the current pwcc auction is eye opening. below is a sample of some of these coveted rookies in grades 7 or better (psa/sgc/bvg) just in this auction alone. it is not intended to be an exhaustive list, but gives a flavor of how price appreciation is drawing more supply, which is getting more difficult for the market to absorb without lower prices. i don't have an axe to grind as i collect both pre- and post-war, including some of the rookies below. i can see the amount of supply leading to a rotation to pre-war (though i'm guessing a lot of the "investors" have never heard of even more prominent pre-war HOFers like walter johnson or christy mathewson) given greater scarcity or leading to what i hope is a healthy correction in the segments of the market that are the most overheated.

baseball

clemente: 5
koufax: 9
bob gibson: 7
yaz: 10
rose: 2 (relatively low, but a large amount of graded 8's or better recently have already started a correction in higher grade rose prices)
nolan ryan: 3

basketball

chamberlain: 3
russell: 1 (low pop in 7's or above)
alcindor: 1 (surprises me that not more)
dr. j: 13
jordan '86 fleer (regular set, not sticker): realize an 80's card but still reflective of bigger trends: 4 psa 10's; 7 psa 9's

football

jim brown: 3
namath: 3
bradshaw: 5
unitas: 9
payton: 14

hockey

gretzky (topps): 17
gretzky (opc): 14