View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Default OT: Wichita Baseball Chat for Clint

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

For what it's worth, in my six years of playing professional baseball, I enjoyed my time in Wichita (1989 season) the most. The people there were absolutely great, and that season was the first year that Robert Rich owned the team, so the front office consisted of a lot of new people who did a fantastic job reviving interested in the team.

I lived in a studio apartment that was within walking distance of both Dumont Stadium and the downtown area. I became friends with one of the guys who worked in the front office, and his family became like a second one to me during that summer. Even though they loaned me an old pick-up truck to use when the team was at home, I often walked to the ballpark. That just seemed so cool.

Although Dumont Stadium certainly couldn't be called modern, I always thought it had great charm (especially the short right-field fence). The clubhouses, although not attached to the dugout (you had to walk across the field and past the outfield fence to get to them -- another thing I thought was cool) were huge, something that's a rarity in the minor leagues.

My only regret -- and it's a big one -- was that we were up three games to one against Arkansas in the Texas League Championship Series and ended up losing the series. It would have been great to give all of those people who supported the team that year a title. Losing that series remains a very bitter pill 18 years later.