View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Frank Wakefield

I wish the Marion family well.

Dad was a Cardinal fan. He'd listen to them on the radio. About 1950 or 1951 he went by train to Pittsburgh, to visit an aunt and uncle for a couple of weeks. They took him to a Pirates game when the Cardinals were in town. And he took pictures.

He took me to a bunch of ball games. Over the years, if we were watching a good short stop, or a good play, and if I asked about who he thought was the best, sometimes he'd quietly opine that Marty Marion was about the best he'd seen. Slats.

Years later I found a couple of negatives from the photos Dad had taken. I had this one immediately below printed. And after a year or so I wrote Mr. Marion asking for an autograph. I sent him 2 copies of the photo and asked that he sign and return one, which he graciously did.

I did not mail him this photo. But I thought about it. I decided not to wear him out with signing. It's Slaughter's Mad Dash in the 1946 World Series... HOFer umpire Al Barlick signed it for me, as did HOFer Enos Slaughter, Marion was on deck and stands there, and catching for the Red Sox, just into the game, is Roy Partee.