View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Default The passing of Charlie Conlon

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

I first met Charlie at the Willow Grove show in 1983. And, as Kevin said....Charlie......
"was usually seen with a brief case and a name badge: "Charles Conlon, Ypsilanti, Michigan".

When I noticed Charlie's name tag, I told him that my Great-Grandfather (on my Mom's side) was named Ypsilanti.
It is a well known Greek name; and, this small town in Michigan was named after a famous Greek General in 1825.
A statue of this Greek General stands in the town. Charlie was fascinated by this and we became instant friends.

Every Willow Grove show, Charlie and I would spend hours talking BB cards. Our two favorite subjects were T206's
and 1949 Leaf BB cards....especially the 2nd series SP's (of which many have surfaced from the Michigan area).

Over the years, I sold and traded Charlie many star and rare cards (T206's to Bowman's).....and, believe me folks,
he was tough to bargain with. People would gather around my table to watch Charlie and I do a deal. At times we
would actually "agonize" over these deals. After which, Charlie and I would chuckle as I said to him...."we should
have charged everyone admission fees to watch us".

I will miss Charlie very much....he was a great friend.

GOD Bless his soul.

TED Z