View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Mikeknapp

I have been trying to learn as much as possible about these pins. Earlier I posed a number of questions about them. I thought I would share what I have learned to date.

What years were they produced?
I believe that they were issued from 1971 through 1974.
• The uniforms worn by Fingers and Tenace were last worn by the A’s in 1971.
• Getty images of Willie Stargell indicate that he began wearing the black helmet in July of 1970 and wore it until early in 1971.
• Willie Mays played for the Mets in 1972-1973
• Orlando Cepeda only played for the Red Sox in 1973
• Ron Santo only played for the White Sox in 1974

Are they all easel backed?
The reverse of those issued in 1971 did not have an easel back. The pin was attached to the back via two slots where attached the pin was notched. The image itself was wrapped around the curved outer shell and secured by a flat circular disc on the reverse which also housed the pin mechanism.

Those issued after 1971 seem to have replaced the metal disc backing with a cardboard easel back. The two exceptions to this I have encountered are Scott Garners Nolan Ryan and Willie Mays.

How were they marketed?
I have not found any packaging information to date. However I have come across a few that have a $1.00 price stamped on the cardboard easel (see Hebner photo) which leads me to believe that they were sold at ballpark souvenir stands.

Are there any known scarcities or variations?
So far I have found that the easels were produced in blue, tan, green, white, and yellow (thanks ooo-ribay). The pin with the head shot of Clemente is supposedly very scarce and commands a premium. I recently purchased mine for $80.00. I have no idea if I overpaid. Nonetheless it is the only one I have ever encountered. Prior to this I had not even seen a picture of it so I am pleased with the price. Advanced Nolan Ryan collector Scott Garner reports the Ryan pin is very scarce as well. To date I have only found Clemente, Hebner, Aparicio, and Tiant to have more than one version of the pin. Mike Kendall reports that the Santo pin exists with both Cubs and White Sox versions.

Is there a name or designation for this set?
None that I could find, however, both of the blue easel backs I own have instructions printed on them. They also have manufacturer information which was obscured by black marker. The printing on both states made in the USA and attributes the photo to Canadian photographer Fred Bruemmer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Bruemmer there is a manufacturer name that cannot be discerned and in capital letters DIVISION OF STANDARD PACKAGING CORPORATION. A little research indicates that this was a New York based company. A Supreme Court of Minnesota finding Standard Packaging v. Com'r of Revenue 288 N.W.2d 234 (1979) December 21, 1979 states, “Standard Packaging Corporation (hereinafter referred to as "Standard"), a New York corporation, does business in Minnesota as Brown & Bigelow (hereinafter referred to as "B. & B."). B. & B. is engaged in the business of selling advertising specialties”.http://www.brownandbigelow.com/ Perhaps they could be called the Brown & Bigelow PM10s? I am considering reaching out to Brown and Bigelow to see if they could shed any light on these pins or verify that they were in fact the producers. I know my research makes a number of assumptions but at least it's a start. Does anyone else have any theories or opinions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (37.2 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg pin2.jpg (71.2 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg pin3.jpg (75.3 KB, 620 views)
File Type: jpg pin4a.jpg (75.6 KB, 622 views)
File Type: jpg last.jpg (48.0 KB, 621 views)

Last edited by 71buc; 08-31-2014 at 08:38 AM.