View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Default At Risk of Adding Fuel to the Fire - Another RIP

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Once in a while I wonder who has seen the most major league baseball games. Red Schoendienst (and no, I didn't have to look up the spelling) usually comes to my mind. He played in about 2500 games, managed a bunch, coached a zillion... Leo Durocher would be up there. Mr. Mack, too. And a gentleman like Mr. McHale would, too.

Maybe the standard should be a fellow gets mentioned here if he won 300+ games, or had 3000+ hits. Or just be in the Hall. Some of us are passionate about cards. For some it is the cards and the history of the game. Without the game there would be no cards. And without Mr. McHale, the history of the game would be different. To paraphrase the court decision about Mr. Lajoie's contract and league jumping... Mr. McHale might not have been the brightest baseball star in the firmament, but he shone fairly bright. Bright enough for someone passionate about baseball to be aware of his contributions to the game, to be aware of his passing.

I enjoyed my phone conversations with Mr. Fritsch, but never met him. I regret having not mailed a 3x5 to Mr. McHale. Larry did help our hobby along. Mr. McHale played the game, was with a pennant winner, got a World's Championship ring, GM'ed in both leagues, worked in the Commissioner's office, was in the middle of a historic move, and took an expansion team from inception to the playoffs. And was someone entrusted with making veteran's selections for the Hall. THAT is noteworthy.