View Single Post
Old 03-26-2014, 02:10 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

That's an interesting issue, because, whether or not stuff was removed, it is still a Type I photo. Unlike with trading cards, I don't believe PSA/DNA grades photos (Poor 1 through Mint 10), they just identify what type of photo it is. An altered T206 Honus Wagner is still a T206 Honus Wagner. Trimming and touching up of a card usually falls under grading, not identification. A trimmed T206 Honus Wagner is still a T206 Honus Wagner, it's just that it should be graded (if graded) as Authentic or Poor. PSA doesn't assign grades to photos.

A modern ballpoint pen ink mark or pencil mark removal on the front of a 1973 Topps Mike Schmidt rookie card doesn't make it not a Mike Schmidt Rookie Card. It's still a Mike Schmidt Rookie Card. The ink and erasure mark only changes the condition grade. PSA/DNA photo services don't assign a condition grade, they just tell you whether or not the card is or is not an authentic '1973 Topps Mike Schmidt baseball card.' Clearly, I'm speaking figuratively and mixing cards and photos to show my point. Mixing my metaphors, so to speak.

A topic worthy of discussion. Though if you expect PSA/DNA to examine photos for missing ink and paper, you'd better expect their fees to rise accordingly. There's no way PSA/DNA can determine or guarantee that no ink, paper or glue has ever been removed from a photo. The combined minds of Svengali and Albert Einstein couldn't guarantee that. If you're talking about noting obvious alterations (such as here, or if a photo is obviously trimmed or has modern writing on the back), that's a different issue-- but, still, if you want those things added to their photo identification services, you should expect higher fees. More time and work = higher charges.

In summary, I think all PSA/DNA does as far as photos go is tell you what kind of photo it is. Judging grade, condition and alterations is not under the parameters of their services. They handle baseball cards and photos differently.

Last edited by drcy; 03-26-2014 at 02:31 PM.