View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 01:33 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
IMHO, qualifiers on high grade (> PSA 7) vintage cards are a bargain for the most part if you are looking to add a decent card to your collection and not just to flip it for $$.

Cards on the upper end can retain a lot of eye appeal and still be slightly OC, but the centering standards get a lot tougher in that territory. If a card has super sharp corners but got an 8 (OC) because it was 70/30 one way...is that really a deal breaker if the discount is steep enough? The same card could be a nice 6 or potentially even a 7 and would still be considered sharp. I guess with the OC qualifier in particular, it depends on your tolerances. I'm not a centering freak, but would agree beyond a certain point bad centering starts to destroy eye appeal. I'd rather have a centered 5 over an 8 (OC) that was 85/15. But I collect mostly PSA 5 and 6 range cards for "nice" vintage, so again at times centering is not a chief concern if it's 70/30 or better. I digress...at a high level I don't mind OC cards, but I dislike egregiously OC cards. Does that make sense?

Nice '73 Mays...
It sure does, and many of us are the same way. If a card is just a bit off-center (but gets a qualifier due to the official grading parameters), I'll happily buy it for a fraction of the price of a straight grade and be psyched I got it, because it still looks beautiful. There are a couple of exceptions (Mantle and whatnot), but when an O/C card just looks woefully and painfully unbalanced, on the other hand, I won't go anywhere near it even at a huge discount. Just hurts my eyes too much to look at it.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.