View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Garth Guibord

I know for me, my collecting evolves over time as I learn more about certain issues and my interests are piqued. I believe reevaluating things is one of the benefits of collecting, it's a good opportunity to reset your priorities and perhaps move in a different direction.
I first dabbled in pre-war when I bought a Tris Speaker T206 with a Sweet Cap back. It was a great card and I loved it. But as I learned more about the T206s, the different backs really struck a chord with me, so I started a new project to get all the Red Sox players and each one with a different back. I sold that first Speaker to help fund other purchases.
One reason I like prewar is that I'm more inclined to get lower grade examples and not worry much about dings here, a crease there, etc. It's freeing. I also collect modern issues (Topps team sets of the Red Sox for every year), where I am much more picky about condition (naturally).
Collecting doesn't need to be an all or nothing venture in this way, my priorities for one part of my PC aren't necessarily the same as in another.