View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 09:39 AM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
The question I would pose is the difference between honest wear / damage to a card vs. "dishonest" in the attempt to make a card look better.

Just food for thought.
Good post. I've really enjoyed reading this thread, and I feel like it's spurred some good thought and discussion.

On your post specifically, ask yourself those same questions from two different contexts:
1) How/why does it matter if I'm really just "collecting"
2) How/why does it matter if I'm really just "investing"

Clearly there is no right answer to the questions above, and one is not inherently "better" than the other. What I was interested to hear, and why I started the thread, is how the hobby more broadly is/has evolved and may evolve further in the future. I'm interested in others opinions about what makes certain cards valuable, how much restoration is "too much" or maybe there isn't such a thing. What is most people's perception of value, and how much of that is driven by "original" versus "looks good". Do the TPAs have any responsibility to assist in measuring/describing restoration work, and what responsibility if any do we think sellers in general and auction houses specifically have related to it.

Good stuff, keep it coming.