View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 PM

Thanks for all the advice, Rich.

As I mentioned somewhere along the line, I contacted PSA first to grade the three cards included in the cover photo. At the time (Summer 2008), they did not grade 1960 Post Cereal. They would not grade my 1962 complete JELL-O box. Though they graded Stahl-Meyers, I would have to let them take the card back with them to Long Beach, since they did not grade over-sized cards at the National. I was a bit discouraged about the whole thing. Instead of just ditching the idea, I endeavored to take all three of the cards to the National at Chicago and see what SGC would do. After a bit of friendly persuasion and pleading, SGC was willing to take a stab at all of them.

Viola. Expensive though it was, the cards did look ever more spectacular in their graded card holders. The people at SGC were pretty friendly, and gave me the impression that customer service was important to them.

Thus, Joe Orlando would not be particularly enthusiastic about the three cards on my book cover, which all carry SGC certs. As I said, I tried PSA first................

However, there are other chapters whose subjects were photographed wearing a resplendent PSA holder. Who knows? In trying to represent both major vintage grading firms, I will displease both of them because their respective "mortal" enemy is well represented.

I still am praying and have confidence NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN will be welcomed by many postwar collectors. Rich Mueller, your colleague at Sports Collectors Daily, certainly seemed to think so. My editor, SCD's Tom Bartsch, sent him Chapter 2, "The Giant Sequoia Mantle -- 1960 Post Grape Nuts Flakes". From his email back to me, he really seemed to enjoy it. In actuality, chapters one and two appeared in Sports Collectors Digest several years ago when I was just getting started. They liked it enough to debut it in their 2009 National Convention issue. I was really touched.

Well, the publisher is to be contacted this week. Perhaps I will have some news, hopefully on the good side.

Rich, thanks ever so much again for your kind interest. Have a happy week. --Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-19-2014 at 12:02 PM.