Thread: Sandberg auto
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 01:18 AM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyc View Post
I would like to hear the Dawson story.
Ok, I love Andre Dawson. I wanted him in the Hall more than anyone else.

So I am in the hotel, and I had brought like an 8x10 of Dawson on the trip. I wanted his autograph so bad. I was like 11 years-old. Huge Cubs fan my whole life.

I walk into an elevator that must have been going up or something. Anyway, I walk right into it and Andre Dawson is standing there. I am so fired up to see him, and I say "Oh, man, I have this really cool, picture of you, and I want you to autograph it for me so bad. Can I go get it?" He says "I will get you on the way to the bus tonight."

I had some serious guts as a kid. I said, "I don't know. There will be a lot of people out there. Can I please run up to my room and get it and have you sign it?" He says "Sure. I am in room 1823".

So I sprint out of the elevator, run to my room, and tell my grandpa "Gramp, I just ran into Andre Dawson, and he will sign my picture. We gotta go." I start sprinting down the hallway and back down to his floor. We both knock on his door, and some dude answers it, looks over at Andre, and gets the nod. We are in.

I walk in and Andre is chilling on his bed. There are two guys getting him to sign a ton of stuff. Some newspapers and photos and stuff. Clearly pros. Anyway, my grandpa can talk to a brick wall. He starts chatting up Dawson. Lord knows what he's asking, but he is just chatting away. Anyway, he then turns and sees the lady sitting on the other end of the bed and says, "Is that Mrs. Dawaon?"

Record scratch. Awkward silence. Little kid gets his autograph and he and grandpa get shown the door.

Last edited by Tennis13; 05-08-2016 at 01:19 AM.