View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 07:14 AM
d.ean

Since I entered the autograph side of the hobby from collecting cards, I was never a collector of signed cards. I do have some signed cards, mostly form the free guests that appeared at various shows attended but getting cards signed was never a serious pursuit. Although the price of some autographed cards prove otherwise, it was always my understanding that anything that defaced the card lowered the value of said card. If there is an ink mark or stamp the grading companies note the card as marked which hurts the overall grade and yet an autograph (authentic or not) is not considered a mark??? Also, I think signed cards is a niche market. I would assume there are far more collectors of clean cards then autographed cards. Pursuing signed cards pre-price point of $100 per signature for star players is one thing, but frankly I can't see paying $100 or more for a player to sign a card.

I do marvel at those who attempt or have complete sets of signed cards.

The beauty of any hobby is the various niches that exist. The collections of pennants, banks, trophies, and other collections on this site blow me away, but alas, I can't collect it all.