View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Al Richter

Default 1959 Topps

T 206-- I have been collecting since 1957 and the 59 Topps set was the first one I completed, so it is my sentimental favorite, even though it is not their finest effort.

I agree with those above who say the high numbers can be had at reasonable prices. While the gray backs ( 199-286) are less common than the whites, there is no real premium, but I agree that if you display the set in a binder in sheets it looks better if they are all one color.

I think, though that the variations in this set are, for the most part, good ones to have. While some of the most expensive Topps "variations" are really just print defects, such as the 58 Herrer, the 57 Bakep and 52 Campos black star, the 59 set has several real variations that resulted when Topps intentionally changed several cards, such as the trade/option variants ( Lumenetti/Giallombardo/Hanebrink/Loes/Nichols, and the 3 different Spahn DOBs. On the other hand, the 3 different Haywood Sullivans are of the print defect variety ( circle or not around copyright and period or not after the A in USA).

One thing to consider in whether to collect the variations is whether you want a master set. If so, you might want to go for the ones listed in the SCD Standard Catalog, or those included in the PSA Registry master set ( both include the 3 Sullivans).

I am not a graded guy and like to add variants I find to my sets so I did the traded/option variants (not too expensive) and Spahn DOBs ( alittle more expensive because of Spahn).

I am posting some of my other 59 oddities, the Ramos with the irregular top left border ( there is one on ebay now at a ridiculous price), Porterfield with the errant green line on back, Wynn with the blotted i on front, Hitting Kings with the A scribbled A above their shoulders ( pretty common), and the Drabo odd top border. All are recurring