Thread: Winston and JSA
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 01:51 AM
I@n Cl@rke

It's late, I'm tired and didn't read link.. but I definitely care about this and similar topics.

IMO it's ridiculous these guys cannot profit from their own signatures and/or their own names. Many of these guys (see names from the past--- Heath Shuler, Tim Tebow, Andre Ware, Ty Detmer... and very likely Johnny Manziel) will never have the opportunity to capitalize on their fame/popularity when it's at its peak in college. To those who argue- "they'll just get paid in the NFL", several college stars fail to ever make NFL rosters (Eric Crouch, Jason White, etc), and others who make NFL rosters typically have short lived careers and lack guaranteed contracts. It seems a joke the NCAA, the schools, the networks, gambling operations, memorabelia dealers, video game companies (props to Ed O'Bannon), anybody and everybody can make money off players and players' names, while the player cannot. If you don't want these guy paid while in school, then stick it in a fund/trust that the player can access once he leaves school, perhaps with partial payouts if he leaves early and incentives if he stays through graduation.

IMO the NCAA and NFL are neck and neck for the most evil, and hypocritical entities in US sports. I'm guilty of watching both, so I guess I'm a little hypocritical myself, but oh well.