View Single Post
Old 09-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Default Source of my phony Wagner, revealed to me by Mike McGrail

Posted By: runscott

He also had a reprint of an e95 "poster" card, which is why I contacted him. Getting info from him was like pulling teeth - he talked in circles and behaved exactly like Garth Feldman (another forgery seller). He eventually told me that he created the Wagner card shown above, based on an old magazine photo. Feldman told me that his '33 Goudeys came from a huge hoard of early '60s reprints that were made almost exactly like the originals - it was a lie, but showed that he had done his homework and had his scam fine-tuned.

The seller of the above card (not Mike McGrail, who is a great guy) is the person who told me the oddball e95-like Cobb I had was from an advertising poster that had examples of other cards on it as well, and that he had only seen one. He wouldn't talk further about the poster, but other evidence I've seen recently corroborates his story. Very odd behavior, but like Garth Feldman, he seemed to know a lot about the hobby. But then again, so does Alan Hagar, Dr. Koos, Broadway Rick, etc.

I would love to see the poster! ...I'd also like to see Leon's OBAK poster