Thread: Jim Thorpe
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 AM

This is a postcard advertising the Carlisle vs Villanova game in 1907. Very little can be found about Thorpe’s contribution in 1907. First 3 games were shutouts so he probably didn’t play unless he received the opening or halftime kickoff which perhaps could have happened. My speculation is since he ran 2 kickoff returns for touchdowns against 30-40 players in practice when he tried out for the team that he very well could have been used as a kickoff returner on a highly talented team that included Albert Exendine, Albert Payne, Pete Hauser and Frank Mount Pleasant. Thorpe was listed in lineup for 5th game against Syracuse and played against Penn to replace an injured Payne. It was reported that on his first carry he went opposite way of his blockers and got buried but went 45 yards on his next carry. He definitely ran a kickoff back for a TD against Bucknell in the 6th game of season. Unfortunately for him he didn’t score it though! He let up a few yards from the end zone, got tripped up and fumbled into the end zone where a teammate recovered it for the TD! Most of you have probably seen this one but this one is mine and Thorpe was definitely there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk