View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Craig

Default Some of Mickey

Although not my favorites of Mickey, these are a few Type I’s that I actually have scans of and think are nice:

Taken on Sept.14, 1950 in his Joplin uniform and used by the press as he was about to start a 2 week tour with the Yankees which began on Sept 20. On the back of the photo, in addition to the photographer's name, written in pencil "to the Yankees".

June of 1951, shortly before Mickey was sent down to the KC Blues which clearly shows the effect of the enormous pressure he was under during his first 3 months in the majors (Graig certainly should recognize this).

6/9/1956, Associated Press "Riding the Crest". The perfect photo -content, clarity, contrast, composition and condition.The upward angle at which the photo was taken perfectly frames Mickey's great smile and that pile of lumber against the backdrop of the famed YS facade all in the midst of his triple crown year.

Vintage, original, first generation 1956 period Gallo photo - Mick's favorite - with original Raymond Gallo Photographer stamp (no zip code). This 11X14 beauty hung in Mickey's office during the first few years of his Holiday Inn.

1952 Spring Training. To me Mickey's expression seems both majestic and pensive at the same time - perhaps conveying the conflicting sense of confidence and self-doubt that he still felt going into his sophomore year.

Pre-season 1951. Smiling even when he’s up in the air!

1951 up against Feller, who by his expression really means business. This time Mickey flied out to right.

Just a nice early 1950’s portrait I got from Henry.

4/26/1951 at the Kenmore Hotel in Boston (later provided the stage for some of Billy and Mickey’s off the field exploits). What a dresser and what a smile!!!

December, 1950 after working in the mines. Original frame which hung on the walls of the office at the Eagle Picher Mines.

Craig

Last edited by Frozen in Time; 03-23-2014 at 12:25 PM.