View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Leaf boxing was issued both with white and gray stocks. I am collecting a white stock set. The famous Graziano SP that was pulled very early in the print run, possibly before the cards were issued, is a white stock card.

As for the OP, the 1952 Topps set is one of the nicest looking sets ever issued. The Leaf set is fugly. I prefer this:

to this:

every day of the week.

Hi Adam

The 1948 LEAF boxing cards were the very first color Sportscards which I collected (at age 10). I completed both WHITE and GRAY versions.
The WHITE backed cards were 1st available in the Summer/Fall of 1948. This date is confirmed by Tony Zale's bio, which reads that he beat
Graziano in their final match (KO in the 3rd Round) on June 10th 1948.

Adam, as you know, these cards were extremely popular (nationwide). LEAF continued printing them into 1949. And, that's why there are cards
with both WHITE and GRAY cardboard stock. LEAF printers switched to GRAY stock in 1949 for their BB and FB cards (and these Boxing cards).

1948 issue .................................................. ....... 1949 issue

Hey guys,
For those of you still yearning for a LEGITIMATE 1948-1949 set, this Boxing set is the one you are looking for.
NOT the BB card set.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 09-26-2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Correct typo.