View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 10:54 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ted, to your knowledge how did people get it so wrong then? It's not like this is ancient history or anything. Who started designating them as 1948 and why didn't someone immediately correct it as whenever it happened, surely there were many people who knew better?

Peter

My recollection is that PSA (whenever they first started) started labeling these LEAF cards "1948" on their flips. I (and others old dudes like me) informed them that these LEAF cards
were never issued in 1948. The response I got from PSA was their usual BS..... "that's your opinion, but we have ours and it's 1948". No amount of logic to convince them that it was
strictly a 1949 issue was acceptable to them.
Meanwhile, Jim Beckett corrected his Price Guide to reflect a 1949 issue. And, Bob Lemke's Standard Catalog of BB Cards also identified this LEAF set as a 1949 issue.

Peter..... in each of the two series of this 98 subject set 67 % of the cards have a Copyright date of 1948, and the other 33 % are dated 1949. You're a lawyer, have you ever seen a
Copyright date stamped in advance ? I don't think it is legal to stamp a 1949 Copyright on a product that was supposedly issued in 1948.

Furthermore, certain bios of some of the subjects clearly tell us it was impossible for these cards to have been issued in 1948. One of the best examples of this is Lou Boudreau....A.L.
1948 MVP. Well, MVP awards were announced in mid-December 1948.
Another example of this is shown here on the Satchell Paige card. Note the last sentence.... "Should sizzle into his old stride this year".

Here is a LEAF printing detail that absolutely proves these cards were issued in 1949.....In 1948, the backs of Leaf's Boxing and Football sets were printed on WHITE cardboard stock.
In 1949, LEAF switched to printing the backs of their BB and Football cards on GRAY cardboard stock. Duuuuh ! ! Are their any LEAF BB cards with WHITE backs ? ?

Hey guys, I could go on, and on trying to convince you....but, it's bed time now. Have a Good Nite.

TED Z

T206 Reference