View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
So get a bit of a rip for offering a suggestion, but the OP get s a pass even though the problem sale was for a 50's football card?

Ok. I guess.

The catch 22 is there for sure. With a bit of effort bidstart could really put a dent in Ebay in collectibles categories. They started as Stampwants.com and had backing from some major dealers who were really unhappy with Ebay. At the time a lack of policing frauds was the biggest problem. One that sounds familiar. A lot of mid range dealers moved altogether, the bigger places eventually went to using both. They publicized it by giving out a very expensive stamp as a prize. (The upside down airplane, not a really nice one, but still an awesome prize)

I actually like their site a lot more than Ebays. Especially the feature where you mouse over the picture in the search results and it shows a picture that's a bit larger. When I'm looking for a particular variety I don't have to go to each item.

I'm surprized some dealers don't add it as a venue. With automated migration and management and lower fees it's not such a bad deal.

Steve B

I like what I saw there and competition is good. It would take a lot to take away a significant amount of eBay's business though. I'd sell there if I knew enough people would see my stuff. I wonder how much impact there would be if sellers like Probstein and PWCC made the move?

I like today's eBay compared to the early days with all the improvements that have been made. What I don't like is the new attitude. But I guess I'm not alone in that respect.

p.s. Sorry, I wasn't trying to rip you.