View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Well there always has to be a dissenter !!!

Morning,

I grew up in California in the 60's and 70's and to be honest never could and still don't much care for the Beatles..................Didn't like Dylan, or a lot of the mainstream stuff out in those days, although I was very very into music and probably went to 100-200 concerts between age 13/14-17. I didn't really understand the adulation for the Beatles, still don't.

Music was very different for me in Cali, my first real full concert extravaganza was to see Alice in 72 or 73, now that was a concert. But I had been to concerts for several years prior, CCR, Kansas, Beach Boys, Jefferson Airplane, Dead (Before they were a Cult) In the early 70's I saw all of the following numerous times, some dozens (Like Airplane/Starship), I was at the 1975 tour debut of Starship with Papa John Creech and then saw them about 10-12 times, other staples were, BTO, Bad Company, UFO, Uriah Heep, Montrose (Another band I saw 20-30 times), The Tubes, Journey (Another one I saw at least 30-40 times), Iron Butterfly, Yes, Hawkwind, Moxy, Mott the Hoople, Cheap Trick, Thin Lizzy....ect.

Basically I went from top 40 Bubble Gum direct to Rock N Roll, from The Archies in 1969 to Led Zepplin, who I saw at Keisar Pavillion in San Fran in 1971 with Lee Michaels as the opener!

So no I'm not impressed with the Beatles, but of course there are some songs I think were OK, and I actually thought the Long and Winding Road album had some good music on it.

Neil