Thread: Graders?
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Aut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potomac Yank View Post

Bubba, we know they can ... that was proven in 2001, when SGC slabbed the worse amateur alteration job in history.

The question remains ... where do the Graders stand on soak jobs?

Like the trimmed card, do they consider it an alteration, and thus the Authentic listing?

Leon's Weaver is a great example ... a beautiful back soak job ... where's the Authentic marking on the slab? ... It was altered no?

What's the difference?

Are there any graders on this forum?
There are graders from probably every grading company that read this forum quite a bit. I doubt they want to come on and explain a policy as it could be a two edged sword and a no win situation for them. That being said a couple things come to mind...

1. I have spoken with several head graders about "alterations". They don't consider soaking a card in water an alteration because it isn't one. (at least in their and my opinions).
2. If it has a slight stain from a soaking it gets graded as such and downgraded depending on the severity.
3. Maybe this is for another thread but the purists who think that if you do absolutely anything to a card, it's an alteration, are entitled to their view. It is contradictory to the graders I know and most of the hobbyists that don't collect ONLY by the number on the plastic. But again, everyone has a right to their own opinion. Personally, I think if we worry too much about minute things then it starts to take some of the fun out of the hobby....again, just my opinion.