Thread: Graders?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

A few weeks back, I sent a few T206 cards to get graded by SGC. One of them was a T206 Hal Chase card. This one had some scrapbook paper on the back side, which I had soaked to remove the paper. The paper came off nicely and only a tiny bit of barely noticeable glue residue was evident on the back side. Otherwise, the card displayed no creases but did have a tiny nick (or print imperfection) on his neck. I submitted the card to SGC and it was graded "SGC 30". Which, considering the circumstances was fair.

Here is the pic. Please excuse the glare from my camera and the registration on the card is way better then my picture shows...

On another note, just to prove how subjective grading really is. In the same submission, I sent a T206 Billy Campbell card to get graded. This one was NOT soaked and had what appeared to be tobacco(?) stains on the front side borders. It came back as an SGC 40. Both cards, were probably graded by the same person(s) (although, I have no way of confirming this). This small sample does not prove anything, other then what most already know..... SGC/PSA will grade soaked cards.....and at least in this small sample, it appears they grade tobacco stains not as harshly as glue stains.

Lovely Day...