Thread: June Pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 04:13 PM

Default June Pickups

I didn't see a thread started for June pickups so I figured I would start this one off not with a bang...more of an explosion.

1932 H&B Jimmie Foxx

Heavily used Jimmie Foxx bat from the 1932 season. Bat was returned to the H&B factory for duplication as evidenced by the side writing on the left barrel. Thankfully for me (financially) it wasn't returned by Foxx, but was returned by his teammate, backup catcher Johnny Heving, on June 9, 1932.

That year (1932) was significant to Foxx as it was one of his best seasons statistically (151 runs scored, 213 hits, 33 doubles, 9 triples, 58 HRs, 169 RBI, and .364 average). He won his first of three American League MVP Awards and missed winning the TRIPLE CROWN by a mere 3 points. The player who won the batting title (Dale Alexander of the Red Sox) hit .367, but in 454 plate appearances. Under current rules he would not have won the batting title and the TC would have belonged to Foxx, who did win it the following season in 1933 (.356/48/163) and also repeated as AL MVP.