View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 10:30 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I am), Steve Hart does not "grade" packs for PSA, he only authenticates them. From my understanding PSA bulk mails all unopened subs to him once a month and he only judges the authenticity. When they return to PSA with with his approval are they assigned a number grade. And yes, his seal of approval is worth a premium (IMO) because he's the best at what he does. I nailed PSA for some shenanigans earlier in this thread, but they get a pass from me on this process.
Correct, Steve Hart does not grade the packs, he only authenticates them. I think my point was missed though. Earlier in the thread, someone inferred that grading companies (owners or employees) should not be allowed to grade their own cards and sell them. I agree with that. That same person then said there is too much temptation to over grade or overlook flaws. I agree with that too, not to mention there is also too much temptation for corruption.

My point was that Steve Hart authenticates his own unopened product and then sends it to PSA for grading. What's to keep Steve honest? Who is verifying his work? Can I authenticate my own packs and send them to PSA for grading? I guarantee you I can authenticate just as good as he does. He's made his mistakes, but we won't get into those. But my point is that graders/authenticaters should not be allowed to grade and/or authenticate their own stuff and then sell it - it's just too much room for corruption.