View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 02:44 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
I actually did have a couple brief emails with the guy before he pulled the Cobb down. Someone had made him a healthy offer and be wanted my offer, but based on the emails I didn't feel comfortable with the seller. The Cobb matches exactly to one of the examples Ron K. has in his book and after emailing the guy I thought it was weird that you wouldn't mention the signature came from a top dealer.

I appreciate Jim and Rich giving their opinion, but no one seems to want to make a comment before Jim, Rich, Chris, or others give their opinion. The signatures were good on face value, but most likely color copies. The guy had good feedback if I remember correctly and you are backed by PayPal if you were to purchase. Obviously a huge pain in the ass for a refund, but you probably be ok. I just find it a little ironic that there is so much talk now and not when the OP was asking for help
Jason,

I know a lot of stock isn't put into the "details", but I learned long ago from Mr. Stinson that take a look at the autograph last after you take a look at EVERYTHING ELSE. I would steer clear from any items with such a piss poor description as this one had. I don't care about past examples, that's just my preference. The seller obviously knew who Lou Gehrig was and felt it necessary to not mention directly that it was autographed by Lou in his description, probably because they knew it wasn't. If someone has an autograph and even if they don't know it's of high value, they won't say something as generic as "SIGNATURE ON PIECE OF PAPER NO COA"...If people don't see that as a red flag then by all means, BID AWAY!!
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123