View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 11:04 AM

Default Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hey guys,

Babe Ruth really started his career in 1915, and Mickey Mantle's first year was 1951.....note the " transposed-coincidence " of those two years in the 20th Century.

At the risk of being accused a biased Yankees fan. In the modern era, I'd say Mickey was the closest BB player we've had to Ruth (in terms of hitting performance).

Indeed, Babe Ruth was the greatest BB player. And, all I am saying here is Mickey came close in terms of power and clutch hitting in big games just as Ruth did in
his era. Therefore, I totally agree with those here who have said that Ruth would be a "star" in the current BB environment.

TED Z
Hi Ted it's JoeT and I hope all is well! Great point on Mantle and consider this: Mickey Mantle hit 10 DOCUMENTED 500 FT+ home runs which is an absolutely incredible feat. If a current player hits ONE in todays PED driven era it's plastered all over ESPN as a miraculous accomplishment. Mantle did it 10 times with no steriods, world class conditioning programs, etc. He was simply the strongest hitter in baseball history, bar none. True, athletes are faster, stronger and more athletic in the 21st century. However, there will always be a handful of supernatural-like athletes that even outdistance today's superstars, with Ruth and Mantle being two classic examples. Also consider this: the physics of baseball has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that lighter bats generating more bat speed augment the distance of a batted ball. Imagine Ruth & Mantle swinging 33/34 ounce bats with these tightly laced baseballs...wow!

So I think the bottom line here is that every sport will have its past supernatural players that would outdistance even the "hi-tech" 21st century studs. Another perfect example of that is the immortal race horse Secretariat who set track/ racing records that continue to easily stand the test of time. Consider even in lieu of faster Tracks and more advanced training, he still holds all 3 Triple Crown records for the fastest times. In fact, if you put all 3 TC races together, he would have beaten TC winner American Pharoah by an astounding 57 lengths or 1-1/2 football fields!!!! There is no science for this.....just the fact that Secretariat was a "once in a lifetime" freak of nature. Same with Ruth & Mantle. They would dominate in 1890...1930...1960....2017....and in the year 3000!!!

Best Regards,.
Joe

Last edited by Vintageclout; 05-27-2017 at 02:18 PM.