View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Default Jackie Robinson Auto - 1st East-West MLK Baseball Classic

Posted By: Paul S

What they are: From my childhood baseball scrapbook. Autograph and ticket stub. At Dodger Stadium I attended what was called the Martin Luther King 1st East West Classic. I find very little info on this on the Internet. It was an assemblage of black, brown and white baseball all-stars playing a game with a large % of the proceeds going to African-American causes. Certainly the greatest grouping of players I have ever witnessed in one place. Many of them were at the end of their careers and would not have made a regular all-star team at that point.

Your advice: I've never sent memorabilia in before for authentication etc. I'd like to get the autograph, stub and program (soon as I locate it, which is imminent) in one group, framed maybe, with DNA, COA, LOA, whatever the heck OA I need. Certainly I'm not about to attempt to peel that autograph off, but will cut around it with the paper backing. The ticket stub I'm confident that I can remove the staples safely, if need be. I figure I better draw on the vast experience of the forum.

BTW -- How I got the autograph: My father and I were at field level. Jackie was introduced by the stadium announcer before the game to rousing applause. He was several sections over from me. Once the game started I went up my aisle and over to his but the usher would not let me down to get to his seat. I went back to my seat, thought a moment, and then cut across the several sections of seats in a straight line. Most people were nice and not terribly not annoyed as I stepped on their feet and explained my mission. Then, there I was, standing right next to his aisle seat with pen and program. "Excuse me Mr. Robinson, can I have you autograph?" He looked up at me, signed it, and said not a word. Up I went back to the top of the aisle then back to my seat.

Apologies for an overly long post!