View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 AM
Scott Gerace

I personally wouldn't include it because of the auto/insert aspect but yes, it is a popular card. It's all a matter of personal preference. The Bowman Chrome refractor is also an insert card but to me it it's not a chase card like the Playoff Contender.

To give you an example using vintage cards, Otto Graham's RC is listed as the 1950 Bowman on the PSA registry but if someone were to approach me with a 1946 Sears card I wouldn't dismiss them if they called it his rookie card. The argument against the 1950 Bowman is that there was actually another card issued prior to it. The argument against the 1946 Sears is that it was not nationally distributed. I feel that both sides have valid points. Again, to me it is a matter of preference.

It seems like only football cards issued from 1951 through 1988 have rookie cards that are pretty clear cut, with the exception of the 1955 Topps All-Americans & 1961 Topps/Fleer. You can't call something a rookie card 10 years after he retired (Hutson). Again, it's personal preference.