View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 PM

Default Newbie here...thought I'd share an interesting item

I can't believe it took me this long to join the board. Lots of knowledge and interesting topics around here!

Anyway, my name is Chris and I live in Alberta, Canada. For the past 10 years, my primary collecting focus has been southpaw pitcher autographs 1900-present.

Recently though, I had a nice acquisition from an estate auction: a 1953 World Series program signed by almost the entire Brooklyn Dodgers team.

Unfortunately, it was at the hand of Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna, the most famous batboy in history.

As most of you know, 1953 was the golden anniversary of the World Series, so a number of 1903 alumni were also on hand to share in the festivities. As it turns out, the back of the program was also signed by some folks that may ring a bell:

Cy Young
Fred Clarke
Fred Parent
Tommy Leach
Bill Dinneen
Tommy Connolly

Young and Clarke are familiar to most, but Dinneen was a star pitcher in his own right, and was by most accounts the first World Series "MVP".

As for Connolly, he went on to become the first umpire inducted into the HOF (along with Bill Klem). In addition to working the first World Series, he also officiated the first game at Fenway Park, Shibe Park, Comiskey Park, and Yankee Stadium.

PSA/DNA letter forthcoming. Anyway, just thought I'd start off by sharing one of my better items.

Last edited by cjedmonton; 06-18-2012 at 08:10 PM.