View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 08:21 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 View Post

1) For those who collect, do you fund any part of your collection through flipping?

2) If you don't flip, do you do anything special - other than just saving - to fund your collection?
- For example, I've made and sold pallet wood homeplates to help fund the engagement ring. I'm considering continuing this to fund my collection once I buy the ring.

3) How can you tell if a vintage or Pre-War card is authentic or fake? Graded cards obviously bring more of a premium, yet raw cards can be risky for an uneducated soul such as myself.

4) How do you organize your priorities/wants and stay on budget? Is it as simple as staying disciplined, or are there little tips and tricks?

I'm always looking to learn, especially when it comes to this hobby. Any advice is welcome! Thank you in advance!
Nice to meet ya Kyle and glad you enjoy collecting old stuff!

now to your questions!

1- not me, not yet, I rarely sell anything unless it's stuff that I got in a lot I have no interest in (I bought a lot of Braves autographed baseballs for example, that also included a Kevin McReynolds ball, and since he's a Met, I'm trying to move it, but I don't acquire to flip for profits to fund other stuff)

2-I actually just started running Karaoke at a local bar on Sun and Mon nights for the express purpose of using that $$$ to fund my T206 collection, so yes! (crap I just noticed I have to leave soon to go do just that!)

3-there is no easy way to answer this, you just have to study and learn, but this place is a treasure trove of knowledge and if you have a question, ask here and someone will always help you out! (but for really old stuff, beware of clean white creases and uniform brown colors, that can be a giveaway to fakes being aged recently)

4-This is the toughest thing IMO, in all of card/baseball stuff collecting: focus.....
I used to collect all sorts of stuff when I was younger, but then I slimmed it down to just rookies, but that got boring. Then I quit collecting for awhile, when I came back I made a decision to stick to Braves stuff and T206. That doesn't mean if i find something else at a price I like i won't buy it, but I willstop and think about if it's something I really want or just an impulse buy. YMMV

Hope that helps!

P.S. get off my lawn!