View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Default O/T: Great Night Tonight

Posted By: Rhys

Since this is a baseball board I will try to keep this sports related. Stephen King lives in the town I grew up in, Bangor, Maine. When I was a senior in High School we were playing Bangor High School at the 3 Million dollar stadium Stephen built for the school when I made the second best catch of my baseball career off a ball hit by his son. I felt pretty good about it because we won the game and beat future Major Leaguer (and the guy who gave up Bonds' 660th home run, Matt Kinney) with my catch. After the game Stephen King came down and told me it was the best catch he had seen yet at that stadium he had built and asked my name and talked with me for about 5 minutes. I used to see him all around town though and he never wore a belt and had horrible plumbers crack. I didn't reallt think it was that cool until a few years later.

I sat next to Wilford Brimley at a restaurant and asked him for his autograph and told him I loved him in "The Natural". His daughter in law was eating with him and his family and asked him, "oh Wilford, were you in a movie called the Natural"? You would never guess he has HUGE tattoos all over his arms and legs.

LAST ONE! Also as a kid in Maine I used to spend hours at the outdoor Ice Arena in back of my High School in Orono playing hockey until about 10pm. One night this truck full of college guys show up and ask me and a few of my friends if they could play with us. It was about half of the 1991 University of Maine Hockey team with Paul Kariya. So he and the Maine guys played hockey with us for about 30 minutes and destroyed us without even breaking a sweat but it was still awsome.

Also, in my little town of Valparaiso, Indiana I coached little league last year and Mickey Morandhini was also a coach in the same league and so I got to see him all the time. Ron Kittle and Dan Pleasac also live here and I see them all the time, all really nice guys!