Thread: $OLD pet peeve
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 01:34 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
So I'm curious.... You talk about not having to justify getting an item cheap, and that it doesn't mean you have to sell it at that price - which is fair...
But then you complain about someone making a "lowball offer"?
So you're saying you get items as cheap as you can, but the buyer shouldn't try as well?? With all due respect, and it's nothing personal..... A lot of dealers are delusional and quite hypocritical. You try and get items AS CHEAP AS YOU CAN as a dealer.... Why shouldn't buyers try and do the exact same thing?? ....think about it...
Me personally, I don't mind the lowball offer itself. As you say, there's nothing wrong with trying to get things as cheaply as possible. It's the tactics that some collectors employ to justify what they know is a lowball offer that I find annoying.

I don't need a dissertation of what fair market value should be, a quote of a single low selling price found somewhere that I should match, or a guilt trip as to why I have the audacity to increase the price on something when I go to re-sell it.

It's fine to make a low offer, but when I don't take it, or counter with something I deem more reasonable and a message of "Best I can do," a paragraph of text in a second lowball offer (or even a follow-up message that doesn't actually include an offer) isn't going to convince me to crawl down in the gutter on my price. I'm more likely to just block that bidder and move on at that point. The buyer may take offense at that, or insist that any tactic is fair game in the name of getting the best price possible, but I simply don't have time to be messing around with someone I have already determined to have unreasonable expectations.

Last edited by thecatspajamas; 04-09-2017 at 02:07 PM.