View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 08:36 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Dale, Since Bee Hives fall into the range of a regional / food issue, sometimes collectors take an awful long time to notice and finally appreciate something like these.

For the far, far majority of collectors, their eyes are glued to Topps, O-Pee-Chee and Parkhurst.

Stupid.

However, those few collectors who enjoy and appreciate the elegant Bee Hives and their fascinating promotion will seriously wish the gum card guys stay focused on them. I only own a pair of them, and felt glad to get them, as I wanted a couple as type cards. I relish a good story and the Bee Hives deliver the goods, so to speak.

Dale, if you would, please load up a scan of your original Bee Hive ad. I'd love to have a closer look. Would you say the ad traces to the Type 1s, 2s, or 3s?

Back to PSA for a moment, if a MASTER SET REGISTRY player collector wishes to submit a Bee Hive, I for one feel it would enhance his player set handsomely. Really, PSA should grade the Type 1s and 2s; after all, being that the company issued their premiums and photos glued to a colored piece of paper, then they are as-issued and therefore legitimate to be authenticated and adjudicated with a proper numerical grade. First, however, it would be beneficial to them to have a conference call with three known Bee Hive experts to educate them on the fine points and vicissitudes of the given types. This way, the PSA graders will know how in the world to properly grade them.

Wishing you well with your Bee Hives. Please, please, load up a scan of your ad, and one of an original brown envelope the St. Lawrence Starch Company LTD used to send an eager youngster his "free prize".

---Brian Powell
I agree, Brian, it is silly PSA will not grade these. Mine are still original, untouched, just the way they came back in the 30's-40's so it makes no sense to me?
Personally, I think they are great cards and a piece of Hockey History, especially considering their age and the players who adorn them.

I received/talked to a few Beehive guys, who, imo, were experts, or at least seemed to be and their sentiments were the same regarding these cards.

I have watched some E-Bay ads and it is rare that any get any bids/attention at all.
One card, which is super rare of Cy Wentworth in a Montreal CDN's sweater, fetched $8,000 years ago at an auction but there has been very little action since.

As far as the ad and types go, I'd say they lean towards series Type 1 and 2 as my Father didn't have/own any type 3 cards.

I scanned 2 envelopes showing my Father's name and his home town, which is a small town in NE Ontario where he was born and raised. Note the spelling of the last name on one of the envelopes. We still get that today, lol. I always wonder if Monty or Micheal ever got/get their last name spelled incorrectly on occasion too?

Thanks for asking and for your opinion, Brian, I appreciate it!

Dale

Edit: Noticed the date on the advertising piece as October 20, 1953, which leads me to believe these cards were issued only during certain periods and between certain years, meaning you couldn't get the previous years/series cards? The series were as follows. Group 1, 1934-1943. Group 2, 1945-1964. Group 3, 1964-1967.
I know my Father was given a majority of these cards, so the envelopes, with his name and advertising piece date makes sense as that is when he added to the collection he was given. He would have been 14. He is 77 now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beehive advertising back.jpg (81.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Original Beehive envelopes.jpg (77.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Beehive advertising front.jpg (83.2 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by irv; 10-16-2016 at 04:53 AM.