View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post
. . .

Gordon Pixley had a W-L record of 4-10 with Class B Allenton, in 1941 (his last year of minor league play?). ERA just under 5.0. Not numbers that one might generally expect leads to a young pitcher an invitation to Spring Training with a major league team. Still very early in WWII so lots of major league talent still available. Since 1941 appears to be his last year of professional baseball, it makes me wonder if Gordon Pixley possibly entered the armed services either in 1942 or thereabouts.
He was playing for a team affiliated with the Philadelphia Phillies at the time. It would be likely for any player under an affiliation would show up. Try-outs were relatively common too. It's not like it is now with Spring invites.
No way to know right now if he did. It doesn't even mean he played in any games, either.
Yes, it is likely he went to military service and it ended his baseball career as well.
I'm not even assuming the autograph is him. I'm looking for as many opinions to help ID it as possible. Do you have any opinion on who it COULD be? So far we only have Rixey, Priddy, Pixley, all entirely questionable.

Last edited by muggsy; 10-24-2017 at 06:55 PM.